Re: thread safety on clients - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: thread safety on clients
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> The "-j" option is the recent addition to pgbench that causes it to
> launch multiple client threads when enabled, each handling a subset of
> the transactions.  There's blocks of codes in pgbench.c now that depend
> on having sane values for thread safety in libpq.  That it may be
> detecting the wrong thing and operating in an unsafe way after the
> recent change is what Peter's suggesting.  This is good, actually,
> because I don't think we had many client-side thread-safety tests
> floating around to catch problems in this area before.

The report showed an assert inside the backend.  It really doesn't
matter *how* broken pgbench might be, it should not be able to cause
that.  My bet is that the real problem was a build inconsistency in
the backend.  Does "make distclean" and rebuild make it go away?