Re: SE-PostgreSQL/Lite Review - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: SE-PostgreSQL/Lite Review
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Greg Smith (greg@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>
>> I have to be honest and say that I'm not optimistic that this is
>> possible or even a good idea to accomplish in the time remaining during
>> this release.
>>
> While I agree with you, I wish you hadn't brought it up. :)  Mostly
> because I feel like it may discourage people from wanting to spend time
> on it due to desire to focus on things which are likely to make it into
> the next release.
The reason I mentioned it is that I was getting a general feeling that
the community at large was going to view not getting the patch into 8.5
as a final straw for working on it.  I wanted to be clear that the scope
of doing this right may extend beyond that, but that shouldn't be a
reason to give up on it.  I think KaiGai's comments about how it took 3
years to get SELinux similarly integrated into the Linux core rather
then shipping as an add-on is encouraging, in that the way and scope of
how we're struggling with this topic is not something we should consider
extraordinary and therefore a failing.  This is not an easy thing to do
for anyone who tries it.

greg@2ndQuadrant.com  www.2ndQuadrant.com