Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER?
Date
Re: poll: CHECK TRIGGER?  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> But then I would have to map all language-specific error reports to some
> SQL error scheme, which is not only cumbersome but pretty useless.  For
> example, a Python programmer will be familiar with the typical output
> that pylint produces and how to fix it.  If we hide that output behind
> the layer of SQL-ness, that won't make things easier to anyone.

Yeah, this is a good point.  I'm willing to concede that we are not
close to having a uniform API that could be used for checker functions,
so maybe what we should do for now is just invent
plpgsql_check_function(regprocedure).  I'd still like to see the
question revisited sometime in the future, but it would be appropriate
to have a few working examples of popular checker functions for
different languages before we try to invent a common API.