Connecting to a remote server, pg_hba.conf error? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From novnov
Subject Connecting to a remote server, pg_hba.conf error?
Date
List pgsql-general
I am trying to connect to a postgres 8.1 installation on a ubuntu box from
windows xp. I get this error: FATAL: missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file
HINT see server log for details.

The server ip address is 192.168.1.10. The workstation ip address is
192.168.2.100. The server firewall allows connections on port 5432. I am
past the 'is the server open on port 5432?' errors, now it's 'missing or
erroneous pg_hba.conf'. I've added a line like this to that file:

host   all   all   192.168.2.100   md5 (have tried trust also)

As far as spacing of those entries goes, it's in keeping with the other
entries.

Also I edited the postgresql.conf file so that listen_address = '*'

If I rem the line I added, I get a different error message (FATAL: no
pg_hba.conf entry for host "192.168.1.100", user "postgres", database
"template1", SSL off).

Note that is not the ip address of the xp workstation (192.168.2.100) or the
ubuntu server (192.168.1.10), that's the ip address of a router that stands
between them. But I'm guessing that the workstation can 'see' the ubuntu
postgresql installation, or altering the pg_hba.conf file wouldn't have any
effect at all.

I'd sure appreciate any help with this. I'm not sure how to check the log on
the ubuntu server as the error suggests...yes, I'm new to this, might do
better if I could could use one of the postgres gui tools, but that's
exactly what I'm not able to do at the moment <g>.