Different host aliases in SLONY configuration table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timur Luchkin
Subject Different host aliases in SLONY configuration table
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello,

I have a question regarding SLONY replication. In short, the question is: Can I have different values on every node in the "sl_path" table in column "pa_conninfo"?

For example, one node has IP addresses in "pa_conninfo", but other has aliases from /etc/hosts?

More detailed description:

I have 3 nodes: node1 (master), node2 (slave) and node3 (cascaded slave of node2). All nodes communicate between each other by aliases from /etc/hosts (lets say "masterdb", "slavedb" and "node3db").

node3 is additionally an application server. All applications from node3 point to primary database (node1) by the same aliases, as SLONY from database on node3.

Today I did a switchover from node1 to node2, and I have changed aliases on node3 for applications (I have assigned IP address of node2 to "masterdb"alias).

But I forgot about the fact that database on node3 uses the same aliases. And now DB on node3 stuck in some unknown state, because both "masterdb" and "slavedb" aliases point to the same host (database).

So, I decided to drop and recreate replication on node3. But I can't use aliases "masterdb" and "slavedb" on node3 anymore (I can't change host aliases for applications, because of some internal reasons).

Finally, returning to my question:

Can I have host aliases in sl_path table on node1 and node2, but node3 will have IP addresses instead (or can I use different alias names on each node)?

Software:

OS: Linux

DB: PostgreSQL 8.1.10 (node1) and 8.2.6 (node2, node3)

SLONY: slony1-1.2.12

--

Best regards,

Timur Luchkin

C.T.Xm Database Administrator

mailto:Timur.Luchkin@ctxm.com

dangerous content and is believed to be clean.