Re: Different host aliases in SLONY configuration table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Different host aliases in SLONY configuration table
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Timur Luchkin <timur.luchkin@ctxm.com> wrote:
> I have a question regarding SLONY replication. In short, the question is:
> Can I have different values on every node in the "sl_path" table in column
> "pa_conninfo"?
>
> For example, one node has IP addresses in "pa_conninfo", but other has
> aliases from /etc/hosts?

This is more generally a matter for the Slony-I discussion list, but I
can touch on the answer here...

Yes, you may use varying kinds of values for hostnames for
"sl_path.pa_conninfo".

I'd expect that to be unwise from the perspective that it means you
need to be looking at network configuration in multiple ways, which I
would expect to lead to a risk of confusion.

If you're clear on everything, and are careful not to get confused,
there's no problem.  I know I'd be likely to get confused when mixing
name and IP addresses.

Further, if your network is configured in such a way that different
hosts see each other differently, that seems likely to have a huge
risk of confusion.  For instance, I could see this happening if two
nodes have DNS configured, and one doesn't.  I rather dislike that
network configuration!  :-)
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling