Re: Idea for cleaner representation of snapshots - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Idea for cleaner representation of snapshots
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> That's not really the point. The problem is that the compiler usually can't
> deduce which function you're calling or even which set of functions you might
> be calling. So, for example, the compiler will have trouble determining which
> variables may be untouched over the function call and thus not have to be
> reloaded into registers.

Well, since the functions in question are in a separate module from
their callers, I think it highly unlikely that any such optimizations
would be applied in practice anyway.

> Again though, I really don't think it matters.

Agreed, it's unlikely this would be a significant change either way.