Re: automatic time zone conversion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: automatic time zone conversion
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 05:12:56PM +1000, Ken Williams wrote:
>> Yeah, but watch this:
>>
>> announce=# create table test (x timestamp without time zone);
>> CREATE
>> announce=# \d test
>> Table "test"
>> Attribute |           Type           | Modifier
>> -----------+--------------------------+----------
>> x         | timestamp with time zone |

> Ouch! What version is that?

Indeed that looks pretty broken.  I'm wondering about version skew
between psql and the backend, also.

As far as the original issue goes, I suspect that Ken really does want
timestamp with time zone anyway, especially if he's looking for correct
handling of summer versus standard time.  If he doesn't want timezones
shown during display, that can be handled by casting to timestamp
without time zone during SELECT; or there's always to_char().

The issue of which timezones to use might perhaps be related to needing
to set AUSTRALIAN_TIMEZONES to true --- see
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.2/postgres/runtime-config.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-GENERAL

            regards, tom lane