Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory

From: Tom Lane
Subject: Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Daniel Migowski, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Josh Berkus, )
   Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Franco Bruno Borghesi, )
    Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
     Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Andrew Sullivan, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Josh Berkus, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Franco Bruno Borghesi, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Tom Lane, )
 Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Vivek Khera, )
  Re: Mapping a database completly into Memory  (Bruce Momjian, )

Daniel Migowski <> writes:
> I just wondered if there is a possibility to map my database running
> on a linux system completly into memory and to only use disk
> accesses for writes.

That happens for free, if you have enough RAM.  The kernel will use
spare RAM to hold copies of every disk block it's ever read.

            regards, tom lane