Displaying Comments in Views - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Susan Hurst
Subject Displaying Comments in Views
Date
Re: Displaying Comments in Views  (Andrew Gierth <andrew@tao11.riddles.org.uk>)
Re: Displaying Comments in Views  (Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>)
List pgsql-general
What is the trick for displaying column comments in views?

The query below works as expected when the table_schema includes tables,
however it shows nothing when the table_schema contains only views.  I
tried putting the query into an inline statement as a column selection
in a wrapper query...I got all the table/column data but the comment
column values were all null.

There must be a way to display comments if I can display the
table/column definitions, especially since the query joins directly to
information_schema columns.  What am I missing?

Thanks for your help!

Sue

select c.table_schema
       ,c.table_name
       ,c.column_name
       ,pd.description
   from pg_catalog.pg_statio_all_tables  st
       ,pg_catalog.pg_description        pd
       ,information_schema.columns       c
where pd.objoid = st.relid
    and pd.objsubid = c.ordinal_position