Re: specifying a password on the cmd line for db connect - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ashesh Vashi
Subject Re: specifying a password on the cmd line for db connect
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Dave,

You can always use the environment variable PGPASSWORD to do that.
Though - it is not recommended to use for security reason. :(
Please follow the link for the details.
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/libpq-envars.html

--
Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi
EnterpriseDB INDIA -
The Enterprise Postgres Company

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler..." -- Albert Einstein
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think." -- Swami Vivekananda

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
On 16/11/2009 23:05, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 16/11/2009 22:51, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
>> --username foo  --password fee

[snip]

> There are no options such as these....what you do instead is use a

Actually, to correct myself, there *are* these options - but the
--password option just forces a password prompt - it doesn't actually
allow you to specify the password.

Have a look at psql --help for all the options.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie