Re: Question / requests. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Question / requests.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/5/16 9:58 AM, Francisco Olarte wrote:
> Is the system catalog a bottleneck for people who has real use for
> paralell vacuum? I mean, to me someone who does this must have a very
> big db on a big iron. If that does not consist of thousands and
> thousands of smallish relations, it will normally be some very big
> tables and a much smaller catalog.

Not necessarily. Anyone that makes extensive use of temp tables can end
up with a very large (and bloated) pg_attribute. AFAIK you can actually
create "temp" versions of any object that lives in a schema by
specifying pg_temp as the schema, but in practice I don't think you'll
really see anything other than pg_attribute get really large. So it
would be nice if pg_attribute could be done in parallel, but I suspect
it's one of the catalog tables that could be causing these problems.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461