Re: Is it time to kill support for very old servers? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Is it time to kill support for very old servers?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/7/16 1:08 PM, Steve Crawford wrote:
> This is effectively a 5-year upgrade "grace period" *after* the EOL date
> of a given version which seems plenty generous.

IMHO we need to be careful here. It's not at all unusual to see servers
running versions that are *far* older than that. It's certainly
understandable that we're not actively supporting those versions any
more, but we also don't want people to effectively be stranded on them
because they can't even get the data out and back into a newer version.
So I think pg_dump at least should try to support as far back as we can
without jumping to lots of hoops in code. I think moving the limit to
8.0 is fine, but I'm not so comfortable with making that limit 9.1.
855-TREBLE2 (855-873-2532)   mobile: 512-569-9461