Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Tiffin
Subject Re: Code of Conduct: Is it time?
Date
List pgsql-general
> On Jan 10, 2016, at 2:59 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> On 01/10/2016 10:44 AM, Regina Obe wrote:
>
>>> JD
>>
>> This may come as a big shock to many of you, but as a contributor
>> I don't care if you are racist, sexist, transphobic or whatever as long as
>> you
>
> I think this is reasonable but my point is that we don't care if you are sexist (in terms of .Org). We care if you
allowyour sexism to bleed into the community.

> In short, as long as you are professional and respectful, your personal beliefs may remain your own.

My problem with all of this is when there is a demand for no tolerance.  People cannot comfortably live and work
withoutsome level of their essence (good or bad) bleeding into their work.

I think Regina’s comment above is the most important comment I have read.  I want to work with Regina, right attitude,
rightfocus.  And if I did step over the line and Regina felt the need to address the issue I would very very much
respectit.  This is the attitude that a code of conduct should project, not all of the politically correct crap that is
normallywritten.

It is important to protect the community from people who are on a mission to rid the world (or the community) of all
ass-holes,racists, sexists, etc.  That is never going to happen and their personal hate trip and lack of tolerance
shouldnot be in the community either. Certainly there is a line that should not be crossed from both extremes, but we
needto be tolerant while people are learning and adapting so the gap between the two lines needs to be as wide as
possible. The code of conduct IMO must address both extremes.

Honestly, I would rather work with someone that offended me every day than someone that was so easily offended that I
hadto watch every word in our communications.  In managing projects, my experience is that more often that not, the
peoplethat focused on the style of the communications (politically correct, pleasing words, etc.) and were easily
offendedby style of communications had contributions that were much less valuable than people that were neutral or
rougharound the edges.  The community will make more progress if it can find a way to accept these ‘rough around the
edges’people, not because they are rough, but because roughness does not degrade value except at the extreme.  Often
someonethat is ‘rough around the edges’ has to be better at their work to make up for it.  These are good people to
keeparound if possible.

Neil