connecting with libpq interface - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Vincent Predoehl
Subject connecting with libpq interface
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
I installed postgresql in two places - MacOS X and Ubuntu Linux 7.10.  Connections with libpq works fine on OS X, but not on Ubuntu and I can't figure out why.  Here's the code:  On MacOS X, the Connected!! message is displayed, on Ubuntu 7.10 I get Connect error.

#include </usr/local/pgsql/include/libpq-fe.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
   PGconn *cn;

   cn = PQconnectdb("dbname=bdp");
   if(PQstatus(cn) != CONNECTION_OK)
      printf("Connect error\n");
   else
      printf("Connected!!\n");
}

I am using libpqxx, which is built on libpq and it gives me this detailed message, so I ran the above test program to determine if it was libpqxx or libpq.  Apparently, libpq is not connecting for some reason:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'pqxx::broken_connection'
  what():  could not connect to server: No such file or directory
        connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

the server is running and I can connect to it with psql -p 5432.  I have these environment variables set, but I don't see how they could be the problem.

export PGDATA=~/bdp/db
export PGDATABASE=bdp

--
Vincent