Re: connecting with libpq interface - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: connecting with libpq interface
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Vincent Predoehl <vpredoehl@phoenixwebgroup.com> writes:
> I am using libpqxx, which is built on libpq and it gives me this
> detailed message, so I ran the above test program to determine if it
> was libpqxx or libpq.  Apparently, libpq is not connecting for some
> reason:

> terminate called after throwing an instance of 'pqxx::broken_connection'
>    what():  could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>          Is the server running locally and accepting
>          connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/
> postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?

PQerrorMessage() should give you the same info in your standalone
libpq program.

What I'd wonder is whether the postmaster is using that socket location
or not.  The more common location is /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432.  You might have
a problem with having a copy of libpq that has a different default
socket path compiled into it than the postmaster does.
        regards, tom lane