Online backup of PostgreSQL data. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raman, Karthik IN BLR STS
Subject Online backup of PostgreSQL data.
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi All,

I need a small clarification. We are using PostgreSQL version 9.4.1

We have a requirement to take the online backup of a running PostgreSQL system (with out stopping the database).
As per the design / architecture of PostgreSQL system, is it technically allowed to dynamically copy the “Data” folder of PostgreSQL system (with out using any replication concept).
While restoring (we are allowed to stop the database!), can we directly restore this data folder? Are there any potential problem we will come across by doing this way?
(Or) Should I use some replication concept like using pg_basebackup (?) to achieve the same. (In our case, we do not need replication as a feature to do in different PC). It is sufficient for us to take the backup in the same PC.

Any suggestions / help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

With best regards,
Karthik R