Re: Visual query builder for PosgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Russell Keane
Subject Re: Visual query builder for PosgreSQL?
Date
Re: Visual query builder for PosgreSQL?  (Satoshi Nagayasu <snaga@uptime.jp>)
List pgsql-general
> I'm looking for some good visual query builder which can be used by non-t=
ech people for some ETL tasks. Do you have any recommendation?

> Now, we're moving our data from Excel to PostgreSQL to deal with large am=
ount of data, and we need to process some ETL tasks, with using JOIN and GR=
OUP BY between tables, up to 10 tables on it.

> Of course, I can write ad-hoc queries by myself. However, I'd like to all=
ow non-tech people to issue ad-hoc queries with using some visual query bui=
lder.

> I have already looked a query builder feature in pgAdminIII, but I'm not =
sure whether I can use GROUP BY with it.

> Do you have any experience or recommendation about visual query builder f=
or PostgreSQL?

You can do joins in the PGAdmin3 query builder but I'm fairly sure you can'=
t do group by's.

Apparently, SQL Manager from here:
http://www.sqlmanager.net/en/products/postgresql/manager/
Has a "Visual query builder allowing you to build complicated queries witho=
ut any knowledge of SQL syntax"

I may be shot for even suggesting this (and it is a bit of a hassle) but yo=
u could recreate your table structure in MS Access and use its graphical qu=
ery builder to generate your SQL. It does allow for group by's, counts, etc=
.

Regards,

Russell Keane
INPS