Re: DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavan Schneider
Subject Re: DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday, February 8, 2013 at 19:34, Albe Laurenz wrote:

Gavan Schneider wrote:
>>Referring to:
>><http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html>
>>
>>I really must have missed something so am
>>standing by for the 'gotcha'... please supply :)

>Further down on the page you quote, it says: ...

Thank you, it had to be somewhere. :)

And this leads to a thought. Why is it that in this chapter the=20
documentation gives a synopsis which is not correct for the=20
current implementation but relies on a negation much further=20
down the page to properly describe the actual behaviour?

Mostly the manual follows the pattern of a correct synopsis=20
(where correct means what this version will actually do)=20
followed by a section setting out the differences from the=20
standard and/or other implementations.

While this chapter of the current documentation is not in error=20
overall it's a bit misleading.

Of course if anything is going to change my preference would be=20
to leave the synopsis in its SQL conformant state and bring the=20
implementation up to standard in this area, meaning we can drop=20
the contradiction/'correcting' paragraph. And, no, I'm not=20
holding my breath on this just now.

Regards
Gavan Schneider