Re: Making PostgreSQL 7.4 (CVS) work properly on OS X 10.3 (7B85) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marko Karppinen
Subject Re: Making PostgreSQL 7.4 (CVS) work properly on OS X 10.3 (7B85)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8 Nov 2003, at 22:19, Tom Lane wrote:
> After fixing the ps_status problems, I cannot observe any problem, with
> or without system.c.  However, I agree that it's a bad idea to
> propagate
> that hack forward when it's no longer needed.  I've #ifdef'd out
> system.c for OS X 10.3 and later.  (I was tempted to disable it on
> 10.2.* as well, but I can only prove system() works in 10.2.6, not
> having older OS X handy to test.)

As a general rule of thumb, I don't think it's necessary to support
anything other than the latest revision in 10.2.x and 10.3.x at
any time. The revisions are free, they mainly fix bugs, they don't
affect hardware requirements and other software vendors see
requiring them as a non-issue.

This, at the very least, applies to major pgsql versions such
as 7.4 and 7.5 -- you might disagree about a OS version
requirement changing in a point release.

But in my opinion, if system() is fixed in 10.2.6, you can require
Jaguar users to upgrade to that version for 7.4.

mk