Re: psqlODBC connection - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: psqlODBC connection
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the help. Since I am using classic ASP this is exactly what I am looking for. But there is a problem here.
WhenI go the "Create New Data Source" window as mentioned in step ii, Ifind only sql server and Oracle drivers. I do
notsee PostgreSQL ODBC driver. But I am sure PsqlODBC is installed as it appears in the installed program list. Is
thereanything else I am missing, because of which the driver does not appear in the source?? Please let me know.

Thanks,
Mamatha

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond O'Donnell [mailto:rod@iol.ie]
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 10:38 PM
To: Chan, Mamatha Kagathi
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] psqlODBC connection

On 19/10/2011 07:26, Mamatha_Kagathi_Chan@DELL.com wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I have installed psqlODBC  and I can see the dll files in the bin
> folder. But what shall I do next to connect My ASP page? Please help.

I moved away from ASP a long time ago, so memory is rusty, but here goes:

(i) Go to the ODBC data sources manager (under Administrative tools on my Windows 7 laptop)

(ii) Create a new data source, using the PostgreSQL ODBC driver.

(iii) In your ASP page, do something like:

   dim conn
   set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
   conn.Open "DSN=your_data_source_name"

This is using classic ASP, mind you, not ASP.NET - the latter may be different.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie