Re: Order of Daily VACUUM, CLUSTER, REINDEX - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leonardo F
Subject Re: Order of Daily VACUUM, CLUSTER, REINDEX
Date
List pgsql-general
> VACUUM ANALYZE;
> CLUSTER;
> REINDEX DATABASE "database";

ANALYZE has to go after CLUSTER; and CLUSTER already
vacuums the tables (I'm not 100% sure though). CLUSTER also
reindexes the whole table, so there's no need for another REINDEX.

I think the right way of doing it would be:

CLUSTER;
ANALYZE; (no "vacuum analyze", just "analyze").

Beware though that CLUSTER and REINDEX can be very long processes,
and that CLUSTER locks the whole table... they're not tools supposed to
be used that often (since there's usually no need to run them so often).

Why do you think you need to run those commands daily?