Re: [HACKERS] kqueue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] kqueue
Date
Re: [HACKERS] kqueue  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Matteo Beccati <php@beccati.com> writes:
> On 21/01/2020 02:06, Thomas Munro wrote:
>> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BhUKGJAC4Oqao%3DqforhNey20J8CiG2R%3DoBPqvfR0vOJrFysGw%40mail.gmail.com

> I had a NetBSD 8.0 VM lying around and I gave the patch a spin on latest
> master.
> With the kqueue patch, a pgbench -c basically hangs the whole postgres
> instance. Not sure if it's a kernel issue, HyperVM issue o what, but
> when it hangs, I can't even kill -9 the postgres processes or get the VM
> to properly shutdown. The same doesn't happen, of course, with vanilla
> postgres.

I'm a bit confused about what you are testing --- the kqueue patch
as per this thread, or that plus the WaitLatch refactorizations in
the other thread you point to above?

I've gotten through check-world successfully with the v14 kqueue patch
atop yesterday's HEAD on:

* macOS Catalina 10.15.2 (current release)
* FreeBSD/amd64 12.0-RELEASE-p12
* NetBSD/amd64 8.1
* NetBSD/arm 8.99.41
* OpenBSD/amd64 6.5

(These OSes are all on bare metal, no VMs involved)

This just says it doesn't lock up, of course.  I've not attempted
any performance-oriented tests.