Re: High-availability - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Staubo
Subject Re: High-availability
Date
List pgsql-general
On 6/3/07, Madison Kelly <linux@alteeve.com> wrote:
> > Slony is indeed intended for near-real-time replication; it's
> > asynchronous, so slaves always lag behind the master. The amount of
> > discrepancy depends on a bunch of factors -- individual node
> > performance, network performance, and system load.
>
> That was *exactly* the kind of link I was trying to find.

You're welcome.

As a side-note, I sat up pgpool-II today, and was pleasantly surprised
about how easy it all was; within two minutes I had two databases in
perfect sync on my laptop. It has limitations (such as in its handling
of sequences), but compared to Slony it's like a breath of fresh
mountain air.

Pgpool-II also supports table partitioning, where you define each
database to have a subset of the data. Pgpool-II then intercepts every
SQL statement and routes it to the correct server. It doesn't work
with referential integrity, I think, which is a major limitation, but
it's the nature of the beast.

Alexander.