Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Simplify the syntax of CREATE/ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY by - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Simplify the syntax of CREATE/ALTER TEXT SEARCH DICTIONARY by
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Teodor Sigaev <teodor@sigaev.ru> writes:
>> The first kluge that comes to mind is to suppress the error check in a
>> standalone backend (ie, when not IsUnderPostmaster), which would cover
>> the initdb case.  But maybe there are better answers ... any ideas?

> Don't see, but that's connected only to snowball stemmers - other dictionaries
> are not created in initdb time.

True today, but might not always be so.  ISTM the generic issue here is
that initdb wants to set up prefab dictionaries that might not actually
be usable in the specific database encoding that template1 is assigned.
But making them anyway is correct, since they could still be used later
in some other database created with a different encoding.  So I'm
inclined to put the disable check into the generic verify_dictoptions()
routine, not into snowball specifically.