Re: lc_numeric and decimal delimiter - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: lc_numeric and decimal delimiter
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gavin Sherry <swm@linuxworld.com.au> writes:
> I am at OpenDBCon in Germany. People are complaining about floats/numerics
> not accepting German/European conventions for the delimiter point -- a
> comma. This is hard coded into the the numeric input parser but,
> naturally, we use strtod() in else where. I'm not sure about the locale
> stuff and whether it deals with it. Are we in the wrong here?

This has been proposed and rejected in the past.  I don't think it's an
open-and-shut decision.  Given that our trend has been to tighten rather
than loosen input error checking (eg, no empty strings for int4, no
heuristic month/day choices for timestamps), I'd be inclined to vote
against it still.