Re: Assert failure found in 8.1RC1 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Assert failure found in 8.1RC1
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 02:09:35PM -0700, Robert Creager wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:09:58 -0600
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:46:27PM -0400, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > > On Fri, 4 Nov 2005, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> > > For all the talk about "couldn't it be part of regression", I haven't seen
> > > anyone submit a patch that would test for it ... since I believe both you
> > > and Tom have both stated that "for things like race conditions, I don't
> > > know that you can create reproducable cases", can you submit a patch for
> > > how you propose this should be added to the regression tests?
> >
> > I have an idea, but it might be better if Robert could produce a test
> > case since it would cover both a context storm issue as well as this
> > race condition.
> >

> Actually, I have a test case.  I just sent it out to Tom a couple of hours ago.
> The quick and dirty is that it shows the problem after running for about 20
> minutes on my Xenon system with 8.1.0...  I cannot get it to fail on my AMD
> system with a much higher load...
>
> I can send it to others who are interested.  The e-mail with dump, module and
> script is just over 1Mb.

Just to clarify, did it show the assert failure, the context switch
storm, or both?

Yes, I'd like to take a look at this if you could send it on to me. Is
there any simple way to populate the database? I doubt people would be
keen on having a 1MB dump in CVS...