Re: pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)
Date
In response to Re: pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)  (Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>)
Responses Re: pg_restore: [custom archiver] dumping a specific TOC data block out of order is not supported without ID on this input stream (fseek required)  (Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>)
List pgsql-general
--- On Fri, 21/5/10, Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl> wrote:

> On 21 May 2010, at 11:58, Glyn Astill
> wrote:
>
> > Well I've ony just gotten round to taking another look
> at this, response inline below:
> >
> > --- On Fri, 30/4/10, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Glyn Astill <glynastill@yahoo.co.uk>
> >>
> >> My guess is that you can reproduce it with not a
> lot of
> >> data, if you can
> >> isolate the trigger condition.
> >>

> > Hmm, tried reducing the amount of data and the issue
> goes away. Could this indicate some issue with the file,
> like an issue with it's size (~~ 5gb)? Or could it be an
> issue with the data itself?
>
> The file-size in combination with an "out of order" error
> smells of a 32-bit integer wrap-around problem.
>
> And indeed, from the documentation (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/lo-intro.html):
> "One remaining advantage of the large object facility is
> that it allows values up to 2 GB in size"
>
> So I guess your large object is too large.

Hmm, we don't use any large objects though, all our data is pretty much just date, text and numeric fields etc

Glyn.