Re: BUG #18477: A specific SQL query with "ORDER BY ... NULLS FIRST" is performing poorly if an ordering column is n - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: BUG #18477: A specific SQL query with "ORDER BY ... NULLS FIRST" is performing poorly if an ordering column is n
Date
In response to Re: BUG #18477: A specific SQL query with "ORDER BY ... NULLS FIRST" is performing poorly if an ordering column is n  (David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
On Thu, 2024-06-06 at 17:04 +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jun 2024 at 15:48, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > AFAICS the problem is purely self-inflicted damage: why is the user
> > specifying NULLS FIRST if he knows the column is not-null?
>
> If the user has some genuine reason for creating a NULLS FIRST index
> for some other query, then it might be nice if we were able to use
> that index for Merge Joins instead of them having to create another
> index to speed up the join query.

I cannot imagine a genuine reason for creating a NULLS FIRST index
on a NOT NULL column, but perhaps I am too narrow-minded.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe