pgindent (was Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advance of pgindent run.) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject pgindent (was Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventive maintenance in advance of pgindent run.)
Date
Responses Re: pgindent (was Re: [HACKERS] [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preventivemaintenance in advance of pgindent run.)  (Piotr Stefaniak <postgres@piotr-stefaniak.me>)
List pgsql-hackers
Piotr Stefaniak <postgres@piotr-stefaniak.me> writes:
> On 2017-05-17 19:16, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> We have someone who has studied the BSD indent code and even sent us
>> patches to fix quite a few bugs, but we've largely ignored his efforts
>> so far.  I propose we take that indent as part of our repo, and patch it
>> to our preferences.

> That, I assume, would be me. Coincidentally, I'm about to push my fixes
> upstream (FreeBSD). Before that happens, my changes can be obtained from
> https://github.com/pstef/freebsd_indent and tested, if anyone wishes.

Yes, I was just reviewing those threads.  IIUC, the current proposal is
to adopt FreeBSD's version of indent as being less buggy and better
maintained than NetBSD's, and then patch it as necessary.

We'd put off the decision what to do exactly until a more suitable time,
but I think that time is now.  What I think we ought to do is go ahead
and indent the tree with current pgindent, and then we have a basis for
experimenting with replacement versions and seeing what they'll do
differently.  If we can make a decision and adopt any changes within
the next few weeks, I think that that timing will be about the least pain
we can hope for.

If we do anything with as much impact as changing the indentation rule
for string continuations, I will certainly vote for running the new
pgindent over the back branches too.  I still bear the scars of dealing
with the comment-reflowing changes that Bruce put in circa 8.1 --- that
broke just about every back-patching effort for the next five years.
I don't want to go through that again.