Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Hash Functions  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 4:25 PM, Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
>> Why can't hash partitions be stored in tables the same way as we do TOAST?
>> That should take care of the naming problem.

> Hmm, yeah, something like that could be done, but every place where
> you are currently allowed to refer to a partition by name would have
> to be be changed to accept some other syntax for specifying the
> partition.

Uh ... toast tables have regular names, and can be specified in commands
just like any other table.  I don't see why these "auto" partition tables
couldn't be handled the same way.

> Beyond that, I think it's a bad idea to make hash partitions behave
> completely differently from list and range partitions.

I think the question is whether we are going to make a distinction between
logical partitions (where the data division rule makes some sense to the
user) and physical partitions (where it needn't).  I think it might be
perfectly reasonable for those to behave differently.