Re: Multi-threaded servlet environment - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Nic Ferrier
Subject Re: Multi-threaded servlet environment
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
"David Wall" <d.wall@computer.org> writes:

> FYI since I posted this to the wrong list you might be interested in this
> answer.  It does call into question whether using threads is really going to
> be a problem or whether user-created threads will be allowed.  It does seem
> silly to say we can't use threads since all background processing requires
> it, and nothing but the most trivial of web sites would have no background
> processing needs.
>
> Nic, how does this jive with your statement that the specs don't say
> anything like this?  Are we misunderstanding what is implied here?

The spec does not prohibit the creation of threads in servlets. It
makes it quite clear that the decision is for the container implementor.

If you're interested the reason we put it in (if I remember
correctly) is that thread limiting would be necessary for some
session sharing environments.

Nic