Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Henrik Steffen" <steffen@city-map.de> writes:
> > - What do the clients connect with?  JDBC/ODBC/libpq/etc?
> I am using Pg.pm --- this is called libpq, isn't it?

Well, it's a thin Perl wrapper over libpq (which is the C client
API). You said you're using mod_perl: you may wish to consider using
DBI and DBD::Pg instead of Pg.pm, so you can make use of persistent
connections using Apache::DBI.

> > - Have you configured the memory after installation of PostgreSQL, so
> > it's better optimised than the defaults?

> no - what should I do? Looking at 'top' right now, I see the following:
> Mem 1020808K av, 1015840K used, 4968K free, 1356K shrd, 32852K buff

No, Justin is referring to the memory-related configuration options in
postgresql.conf, like shared_buffers, wal_buffers, sort_mem, and the
like.

> So, what do you suggest to gain more performance?

IMHO, dual processors would likely be a good performance improvement.

Cheers,

Neil