Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Henrik Steffen
Subject Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine?
Date
Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine?  (Helge Bahmann <bahmann@math.tu-freiberg.de>)
Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine?  (Shaun Thomas <sthomas@townnews.com>)
Re: Upgrade to dual processor machine?  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi Justin,

here a little more information:

> - Processor type and speed
Intel Pentium IV, 1.6 GHz

> - Memory
1024 MB ECC-RAM

> - Disk configuration
2 x 60 GB IDE (Raid 0)

> - OS
Redhat Linux

> - Do you do other stuff on it, apart from PostgreSQL?
No, it's a dedicated database server

> - How many clients simultaneously connecting to it?
one webserver with max. 50 instances, approximately 10.000 users a day,
about 150.000 Pageviews daily. All pages are created on the fly using
mod_perl connecting to the db-server.

> - What do the clients connect with?  JDBC/ODBC/libpq/etc?
I am using Pg.pm --- this is called libpq, isn't it?

> - Have you configured the memory after installation of PostgreSQL, so
> it's better optimised than the defaults?
no - what should I do? Looking at 'top' right now, I see the following:
Mem 1020808K av, 1015840K used, 4968K free, 1356K shrd, 32852K buff

So, what do you suggest to gain more performance?

Thanks in advance,