Re: Inheritance, CREATE TABLE LIKE, and partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Inheritance, CREATE TABLE LIKE, and partitioned tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
elein <elein@varlena.com> writes:

> People will turn around and immediately as for create table like without us
> making the assumptions it wanted all of the extras that come with inheritance.
> COPY is a copy of the table, not additional functionality.  The added flexibility
> of adding only what is necessary makes more sense than going in to guess
> what was added and removing it later if it is not needed.
>
> This does not preclude adding a copy table like (with extras) though if you must.

I'm not too sure what you're saying here. But just to be clear, the spec
specifies what CREATE TABLE LIKE does and does not copy. Any behaviour
different from the spec would have to be explicitly requested with an optional
clause.

--
greg