Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Core team statement on replication in PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Greg Smith" <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> It should also be pointed out that the whole thing becomes uninteresting
>> if we get real-time log shipping implemented.  So I see absolutely no
>> point in spending time integrating pg_clearxlogtail now.
>
> There are remote replication scenarios over a WAN (mainly aimed at disaster
> recovery) that want to keep a fairly updated database without putting too much
> traffic over the link.  People in that category really want zeroed
> tail+compressed archives, but probably not the extra overhead that comes with
> shipping smaller packets in a real-time implementation.

Instead of zeroing bytes and depending on compression why not just pass an
extra parameter to the archive command with the offset to the logical end of
data. The archive_command could just copy from the start to that point and not
bother transferring the rest.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's RemoteDBA services!