Re: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion
Date
ERROR: function round(double precision, integer) does not exist - WTF?
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> I think this is sufficient though, and that database designers ought to
> choose helpful names for constraints.  I should have said something like
>     ... constraint "f1 must be positive" check (f1 > 0)
> if I were concerned about the error message quality.

Consider the case of a query like
 "INSERT INTO foo (SELECT ... FROM baz)"
or
 "UPDATE foo set x = func(y,z)"

It's great to know which constraint was violated but that doesn't really help
you figure out *why* it was violated.

--
greg