Re: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion
Date
Re: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion
Re: REFERENCES error message complaint, suggestion
List pgsql-general
"Karl O. Pinc" <kop@meme.com> writes:
> Does 7.4 do something similar with CHECK constraints?

Nope, just

regression=# create table baz(f1 int check (f1 > 0));
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into baz values(-1);
ERROR:  new row for relation "baz" violates check constraint "baz_f1"
regression=#

I think this is sufficient though, and that database designers ought to
choose helpful names for constraints.  I should have said something like
    ... constraint "f1 must be positive" check (f1 > 0)
if I were concerned about the error message quality.

I didn't care much for your suggestion of showing the constraint
expression, because to the average non-programmer it would just be
noise.

            regards, tom lane