Re: random delays - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: random delays
Date
List pgsql-general

> You'll find response times spike somewhat during Checkpoints. We've been
> working to reduce this effect for some time and there is still more work
> to be done.
>
> Tune your wal settings and bgwriter to improve things, plus upgrade to
> 8.1 which has made leaps forward with this issue.

If that's the problem presumably moving the WAL segments to a dedicated set of
spindles would help?

It seems to me it would take a pretty severe case of this to cause 10-20s
delays though. You aren't perchance running VACUUM FULL or any DDL like
REINDEX or CLUSTER periodically are you?

--
greg