Re: random delays - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: random delays
Re: random delays
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 2005-12-09 at 14:29 +0100, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> I noticed that sometimes we seem to have a problem with simple queries
> that take a long time to execute. For example "select * from config
> where key='abc'" which normally only takes a few milliseconds, but in
> some rare cases suddenly takes 10-30 seconds.
>
> It is a production system, so there are always other queries going on.
> But the server is not neccessarly loaded when this happens. I can't
> think of any reasons that there should be a lock on the tables in question.

You'll find response times spike somewhat during Checkpoints. We've been
working to reduce this effect for some time and there is still more work
to be done.

Tune your wal settings and bgwriter to improve things, plus upgrade to
8.1 which has made leaps forward with this issue.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs