"It'd be better if there were not an implicit cast from int8 to text..." - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject "It'd be better if there were not an implicit cast from int8 to text..."
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hm, I suppose this "kluge" in gram.y for "substr_list" isn't necessary any
more? Don't really see a downside to leaving it, just thought I would mention
it since I noticed the comment is outdated.
 | a_expr substr_for     {         /*          * Since there are no cases where this syntax allows          * a textual
FORvalue, we forcibly cast the argument          * to int4. This is a kluge to avoid surprising results          * when
theargument is, say, int8. It'd be better if          * there were not an implicit cast from int8 to text ...
*/        A_Const *n = makeNode(A_Const);         n->val.type = T_Integer;         n->val.val.ival = 1;         $$ =
list_make3($1,(Node *) n,                         makeTypeCast($2, SystemTypeName("int4")));     }