Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?f - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: tsearch2 in PostgreSQL 8.3?f
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> > Oh, so you want the config inside each tsvector value. ?Interesting
> > idea.
>
> Yeah, hasn't anyone suggested this before?  It seems like the obvious
> solution.  A TSvector constructed with en_US is NOT the same as a vector
> constructed with fr_FR and it's silly to pretend that they are comparable.
> Sticking the config name at the beginning of the field would allow for the
> use of single-parameter functions, and default_config would only be used
> for SELECT queries.  Backup/restore issues should go away completely ...
>
> EXCEPT this would introduce issues if the config is changed or deleted
> after being used.  However, I'd imagine that we have those anyway --
> certainly we would at restore time.

The other problem with encoding the configuration name in the tsvector
value is that pg_dump would somehow have to embed the configuration name
in the tsvector output, and I can't see that working for an expression
index because index contents aren't dumped.  Having a separate
configuration column is clearly simpler.

--  Bruce Momjian  <bruce@momjian.us>          http://momjian.us EnterpriseDB
http://www.enterprisedb.com