Re: improve routine vacuuming docs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: improve routine vacuuming docs
Date
List pgsql-patches
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Should be "TRUNCATE removes the <emphasis>entire</emphasis> content of
> the table immediately, without requiring a subsequent
>      reclaim the now-unused disk space."

I think the <emphasis/> is overkill, but otherwise I've made this
change.

> Maybe better is  ..."risk of OID wraparound failures".

Why? XID wraparound and OID wraparound are completely distinct
issues. I think from the context it's pretty clear that XID wraparound
is what is being referred to here.

> What differentiates the first SELECT as a command and the second
> SELECT as a literal?  Some question for CASE really...

Well, the rule-of-thumb is that SQL commands are marked with
<command/>, but clauses of commands or entire example queries are
marked with <literal/>. I think the <literal>CASE</> is correct, but
on closer examination, the second SELECT should probably also be
marked with <command/>.

I've attached a revised patch that incorporates these changes. Thanks
for the feedback!

-Neil

Attachment