Re: Beginner's Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: Beginner's Questions
Date
List pgsql-general
Don Lavelle <don.lavelle.bulk@gmail.com> writes:

> My database is quite small (only 13 lucky tables, though that may expand a
> little) and will not hold a great amount of data.  (There  will be at most
> records in the thousands for the single-user or tens  of thousands for the
> multi-user.)  I will either use Java or C++ for  the project.  I would run
> PostgreSQL as a child process.

What do you mean by "a child process"?  PostgreSQL is run as a server and then
you connect to it (either through TCP or using sockets).  Or you were talking
about something you'll do with your code?

> Is PostgreSQL overkill for such a project?  My other choices are to go with a
> flat-file format or to use an embedded SQL server.  The  reason to go with
> PostgreSQL are that I don't have to write as much  code, it's known to be
> reliable for what I'm doing, and it's known to  be reliable for what I might
> be doing.  The reason to not go with  PostgreSQL is that it might be too much
> for a modest personal  computer; I don't know that the computers running this
> will even have  XP.  (I'm not a MS Windows user, myself, unless I have to be.
> My  development boxes are a 1.1 GHz Athlon with 512 RAM with XP and a
> dual-processor G4 with MacOS 10.4.)
>
> Are there ballpark requirements for what such a database will need to run?

You have the required hardware.  I have PostgreSQL running on worse conditions
and performing very well.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>