Beginner's Questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Don Lavelle
Subject Beginner's Questions
Date
Re: Beginner's Questions  (Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@gmail.com>)
Re: Beginner's Questions  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
List pgsql-general
Hey, All,

I'm working on a project (for a friend and for self-education) and
want to learn a little more about what sorts of applications
PostgreSQL is used for.  I'm currently looking at a single-computer
desktop application that may be scaled to a client-server model with
multiple desktop clients and a centralized server.

My database is quite small (only 13 lucky tables, though that may
expand a little) and will not hold a great amount of data.  (There
will be at most records in the thousands for the single-user or tens
of thousands for the multi-user.)  I will either use Java or C++ for
the project.  I would run PostgreSQL as a child process.

Is PostgreSQL overkill for such a project?  My other choices are to
go with a flat-file format or to use an embedded SQL server.  The
reason to go with PostgreSQL are that I don't have to write as much
code, it's known to be reliable for what I'm doing, and it's known to
be reliable for what I might be doing.  The reason to not go with
PostgreSQL is that it might be too much for a modest personal
computer; I don't know that the computers running this will even have
XP.  (I'm not a MS Windows user, myself, unless I have to be.  My
development boxes are a 1.1 GHz Athlon with 512 RAM with XP and a
dual-processor G4 with MacOS 10.4.)

Are there ballpark requirements for what such a database will need to
run?

Thanks!

      Don