Re: Variable length varlena headers redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Variable length varlena headers redux
Date
Re: Variable length varlena headers redux  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> You keep suggesting things that I've previously considered and rejected --
>> perhaps prematurely. Off the top of my head I recall the following four
>> options from our discussions. It looks like we're circling around option 4.
>
> No, I think I'm arguing for option 3.

oops, sorry, got my own numbering mixed up.

>> And I take it you're not worried about sites that might not detoast a datum or
>> detoast one in the wrong memory context where previously they were guaranteed
>> it wouldn't generate a copy? In particular I'm worried about btree code and
>> plpgsql row/record handling.
>
> Any such site is already broken, because with the proposed design, code
> is only exposed to short-header datums if it is also exposed to toasted
> datums.

Well the toaster doesn't run until we were about to put the tuple on disk. I
was afraid there might be circumstances where data from in-memory tuples are
returned and we use them without fearing them being toasted. In particular I
was fearing the record/row handling in plpgsql.

I was also worried about the tuples that indexes stores. But it seems they
don't go through heap_form_tuple at all. It does seem that the
INDEX_TOAST_HACK would need some work -- but its existence means there can't
be anyone else trusting index tuples not to contain toasted data which is
convenient.

> I'm inclined to think that we might want to set things up so that
> varlena datatypes can individually opt-in or opt-out of this treatment;
> a datatype that needs alignment of its content might well wish to
> opt-out to avoid copying overhead.  We could do that either with a
> different typlen code, or still typlen -1 but pay attention to whether
> typalign is 'c'.

Any reason to go with typalign? You can always use typalign='i' to get the
regular headers.

Alternatively, what does the trailing "a" in varlena signify? Would this be
varlenb?

>> Option 1)
>
>> We detect cases where the typmod guarantees either a fixed size or a maximum
>> size < 256 bytes.
>
> After last week I would veto this option anyway: it fails unless we
> always know typmod exactly, and I'm here to tell you we don't.

Oh, heh, timing is everything I guess.