Re: Variable length varlena headers redux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Variable length varlena headers redux
Date
Re: Variable length varlena headers redux  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> You keep suggesting things that I've previously considered and rejected --
> perhaps prematurely. Off the top of my head I recall the following four
> options from our discussions. It looks like we're circling around option 4.

No, I think I'm arguing for option 3.

> And I take it you're not worried about sites that might not detoast a datum or
> detoast one in the wrong memory context where previously they were guaranteed
> it wouldn't generate a copy? In particular I'm worried about btree code and
> plpgsql row/record handling.

Any such site is already broken, because with the proposed design, code
is only exposed to short-header datums if it is also exposed to toasted
datums.  It's possible that we would find a few places that hadn't
gotten converted, but any such place is a must-fix anyway.  In practice
the TOAST support has been in there long enough that I don't think we'll
find any ... at least not in the core code.  It's entirely possible that
there is user-defined code out there that uses varlena format and isn't
careful about detoasting.  This is an argument for allowing opt-out
(see below).

> I'm not sure what to do about the alignment issue. We could just never align
> 1-byte headers. That would work just fine as long a the data types that need
> alignment don't get ported to the new macros. It seems silly to waste space on
> disk in order to save a cpu memcpy that we aren't even going to be saving for
> now anyways.

No, a datum that is in 1-byte-header format wouldn't have any special
alignment inside a tuple.  There are two paths to get at it: detoast it
(producing an aligned, 4-byte-header, palloc'd datum) or use the
still-to-be-named macros that let you access the unaligned content
directly.

I'm inclined to think that we might want to set things up so that
varlena datatypes can individually opt-in or opt-out of this treatment;
a datatype that needs alignment of its content might well wish to
opt-out to avoid copying overhead.  We could do that either with a
different typlen code, or still typlen -1 but pay attention to whether
typalign is 'c'.

> Option 1)

> We detect cases where the typmod guarantees either a fixed size or a maximum
> size < 256 bytes.

After last week I would veto this option anyway: it fails unless we
always know typmod exactly, and I'm here to tell you we don't.