Re: pg_controldata doesn't report 64/32bit? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: pg_controldata doesn't report 64/32bit?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Gregory Stark" <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:

> Oh, I see what you meant now. Datum is a purely in-memory concept, it doesn't
> actually reach disk.
>
> We could always tighten this up a bit by listing the alignment of a handful of
> built-in data types but I suppose there will always be holes in this area
> anyways.

Argh, As soon as I sent it I realized even that's not right. The alignments of
our datums is specified by pg_type and doesn't vary by platform. There has
been some thought of making 8-byte data types like bigint pass-by-value on
64-bit machines in which case we would want to put that boolean flag in the
control file as well. But until that happens there's nothing to see here.

Sorry for the noise arguing with myself.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's Slony Replication
support!