Re: pg_controldata doesn't report 64/32bit? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_controldata doesn't report 64/32bit?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Argh, As soon as I sent it I realized even that's not right. The
> alignments of our datums is specified by pg_type and doesn't vary by
> platform. There has been some thought of making 8-byte data types like
> bigint pass-by-value on 64-bit machines in which case we would want to
> put that boolean flag in the control file as well.

And that's *still* not right, because whether a type is pass-by-value
has again got exactly 0 to do with what the bits look like on disk.

The only 32-vs-64-bit difference that has any impact on the on-disk
layout is MAXALIGN, which tends to be different in the two cases
(though there are exceptions).