Re: Should I use JSON? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Cross
Subject Re: Should I use JSON?
Date
List pgsql-general
stan <stanb@panix.com> writes:

> Worming on a small project, and have been doing a lot of Perl scripting to
> parse various types of files to populate the database. Now I need to get
> data from a cloud services provider (time-keeping). They have a REST API
> that returns data in a JSOSN format.
>
> So here is the question, should I just manually parse this data, as I have
> been doing to insert into appropriate entities into the database? Or should I
> insert the JSON data, and use some queries in the database to populate my
> tables from the JSON tables?

Given you plan to store your data in 'normal' tables and you are already
using a scripting language to get the data from the remote API
and your already processing data in various forms using Perl, I
would not bother. All you will really do is add another layer of
complexity and skill requirement (i.e. JSON in the database and writing
JSON queries using PG's SQL JSON support).

--
Tim Cross